Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Librarians Are Sharing People



Librarians are the people who played well with others from the very start. We share our favorite things, invite you to take them home, use them, and bring them back for the next person. If we don't have what you are looking for on hand, we get it from somewhere else.

We also share links with each other. Here are two that came over the transom this morning:

If It Was My Home: Visualizing the BP Oil Disaster

You can feed in your city to see what area the spill would cover, then toggle the spill back and forth to the Gulf. Yowza.

A couple of summers ago we had a speaker in to discuss backyard birding. He left behind a handheld gadget which played various birdcalls on demand. The staff loved it and were sad when he came to collect it. So I was happy to see this site:

Cornell Lab of Ornithology Macaulay Library

It's got audio and video of birds, and other animals. I was able to find the junco, loon, and bullfrog, but, alas, not the Tasmanian Devil. I heard the sound of devils on a Radiolab podcast--here's a little video to give you an idea what they're like.




This fetching little creature is featured in Carnivorous Nights: On the Trail of the Tasman Tiger. I love to travel, but due to the limits of time and money, I do more of it from my reading chair. Thanks to books like this one, I can really get around...

I started reading travel writing in college, when assigned Paul Theroux's The Great Railway Bazaar: By Train Through Asia, and I haven't stopped since. I like it when the writer has a little bit of attitude--if you want to try some, I recommend The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific, Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World, and Stranger in the Forest: On Foot Across Borneo. Check 'em out...

No comments:

Post a Comment